Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park | PARK AT A GLANCE

Aspet, home of Augustus Saint-Gaudens

Aspet, home of Augustus Saint-Gaudens


Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park in Cornish, New Hampshire, preserves the house, grounds, and art studios of famed sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens. He began renting the house for the summer in 1885 and eventually purchased it in 1891. Saint-Gaudens named the house Aspet, a reference to Aspet, France, the birthplace of his father. Augustus himself was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1848, but moved to New York when he was six months old. He died at Aspet on August 3, 1907.

Due to Saint-Gaudens influence, in the mid-1890s the village of Cornish began attracting artists from the northeastern United States, some who stayed seasonally and others who lived there full time. The group took on the name The Cornish Colony and included artists and guests such as Ethel Barrymore, Isadora Duncan, Daniel Chester French, Paul Manship, and even future president Woodrow Wilson.

Saint-Gaudens is known for his large sculptures such as the Colonel Robert Gould Shaw and the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Infantry Memorial that is on display in Boston Common, the General Sherman Memorial at Grand Army Plaza in Manhattan, and the Standing Lincoln sculpture in Chicago’s Lincoln Park. However, he created a variety of smaller sculptures, bas-reliefs, and even coins. He was the designer of the $10 and $20 gold coins that were minted from 1907 to 1933, and his design is now used on the current American Eagle Gold Bullion coins.

Visitors to Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park can tour Aspet, as well as two of Saint-Gaudens’ art studios that now house a collection of his original works, an art gallery that hosts contemporary exhibits, and a studio used by the Artist-in-Residence. On the grounds of the park are castings of four of his larger sculptures: Robert Gould Shaw, Adams Memorial, Standing Lincoln, and Admiral David Farragut Memorial. There are also approximately three miles of hiking trails.

The park also consists of Blow-Me-Down Farm, which is located on the west side of Route 12A near the intersection with Saint-Gaudens Road. However, the farm is closed to the public except for a few times each year when the National Park Service conducts guided-tours.


The grounds of Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park, which include the outdoor sculptures and hiking trails, are open year-round from dawn to dusk. In the winter the grounds are not cleared of snow, so be careful when visiting.

The Saint-Gaudens Visitor Center, Aspet, and the indoor art galleries are open daily from Memorial Day weekend through October 31st between the hours of 9 AM and 4:30 PM. The house and art galleries are closed the rest of the year. The Visitor Center is open periodically during the winter, but there is no set schedule. You must call the park at (603) 675-2175 and inquire about winter hours.

Times can always change, so before making travel plans be sure to get the latest schedule on the National Park Service’s official Operating Hours and Seasons web page for Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park.


A fee is charged to enter Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park for those 16 year old and older. Tickets are good for seven days. National Park Passes are accepted. Tickets are sold at a manned ticket booth at the main parking lot.

To get the latest ticket prices, visit the National Park Service’s official Fees and Passes web page for the park.


Visitor Center
allow 30 minutes

Aspet House Tour
allow 30 minutes

Hiking Trails
allow 2 hours

Art Studios
allow 1 hour

Guided Tours
tours last one hour each

Back to the Top

Last updated on August 30, 2020
Share this article