Guilford Courthouse National Military Park | BATTLEFIELD TOUR STOP 6

Stop 6 on the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour

Stop 6 on the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour


See the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour home page for a tour map.


GUILFORD COURTHOUSE AND THE THIRD LINE

Stop 6 on the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour marks the general location of the actual Guilford Courthouse, the courthouse for Guilford County. The county was founded in 1771, and the courthouse was built in 1774. The surrounding community had no official name until 1785 when it was called Martinville. In 1808, the county seat was moved six miles south to the new community of Greensboro, and Martinville soon died out. Nothing remains of the community or the courthouse.

No fighting took place here, but it was the meeting place for Nathanael Greene’s army and the militiamen from the surrounding areas who came to fight in the battle. The courthouse building was used as a hospital for the wounded in the aftermath of the fighting.

A trail that leads to the left flank of the American third line also begins at this location (based on the modern historian version of where the American third line actually was).

A modern restroom is also located at Stop 6.

Modern restroom at Stop 6 on the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour

Modern restroom at Stop 6 on the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour


Next Stop: The British Soldier | Previous Stop: Battlefield Preservation


Back to the Top


Last updated on January 24, 2022
Share this article