Guilford Courthouse National Military Park | BATTLEFIELD TOUR STOP 5

Stop 5 on the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour

Stop 5 on the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour


See the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour home page for a tour map.


BATTLEFIELD PRESERVATION

Stop 5 on the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour in home to the American Cavalry monument, placed here by the Guildford Battle Ground Company in 1909 to mark the spot of the clash between the British and the American third line. The monument was placed here based on the research of founder David Schenck. Since Schenck was unable to purchase all of the battlefield property, he tended to distort the truth so that major events occurred on his property. Historians now believe the third line was positioned on a ridge farther back.

Map showing modern interpretation of the Guilford Courthouse battle lines

Map showing modern interpretation of the Guilford Courthouse battle lines

American Cavalry Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

American Cavalry Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

Further evidence of the park’s early focus on attracting tourists instead of historical accuracy is the sensationalized inscription on one side of the American Cavalry Monument that honors soldier Peter Francisco, one of the most famous private soldiers in the American Revolution due to his enormous size. The plaque claims Francisco killed eleven British soldiers during the battle, though he claimed he only killed two men, and his account was well known at the time the inscription was added to the monument.

Inscription on the American Cavalry Monument, Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

Inscription on the American Cavalry Monument, Guilford Courthouse National Military Park


Next Stop: Guilford Courthouse and the Third Line | Previous Stop: The Expanding Battle


Back to the Top


Last updated on January 24, 2022
Share this article