Salem Maritime National Historic Site | HISTORICAL BUILDINGS

U. S. Custom House and the Hawkes House

U. S. Custom House and the Hawkes House

Salem Maritime National Historic Site is largely a collection of historical buildings that figured into the maritime trade industry that dominated Salem’s economy from after the American Revolution through the War of 1812. There are eight buildings in total, though not all are open to the public. See the following web pages for more information on the various buildings:

Custom House (1819)
Open for self-guided tours

Public Stores (1819)
Open for self-guided tours

Scale House (1829)
A scale exhibit is on display inside the small building

Hawkes House (1780)
Now used for National Park Service offices and not open to the public

Derby House (1762)
Open by guided tour only

Narbonne House (c. 1672)
Open by guided tour only

West India Goods Store (c. 1800)
Closed to the public

St. Joseph Hall (1909)
Now used for National Park Service offices and not open to the public. There is an exhibit on Salem’s Polish community in the ground floor window.

Other attractions within Salem Maritime National Historic Site include three Historical Wharves, the Salem Visitor Center in downtown, the Waite and Peirce Information Center and Museum Store, and the Friendship of Salem, a late-1990s replica of a merchant ship that was built in Salem in 1797.

Back to the Top


With a few exceptions, use of any photograph on the National Park Planner website requires a paid Royalty Free Editorial Use License or Commercial Use License. See the Photo Usage page for details.
Last updated on June 15, 2020
Share this article