Guilford Courthouse National Military Park | BATTLEFIELD TOUR STOP 8

Nathanael Greene Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

Nathanael Greene Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park


See the Guilford Courthouse Battlefield Tour home page for a tour map.


NATHANAEL GREENE MONUMENT

The Nathanael Greene Monument and a few others are located a short walk from the parking area for Stop 8, the final stop on the Guilford Courthouse Battleflield Tour. Dedicated in 1915, the Greene Monument is the largest in the park. It is also the only one funded with federal money. The Guilford Battle Ground Company did not have the funds for this project, so in 1911 it turned to the United States Congress for help. A sum of $30,000 was appropriated for the monument. Around this time the Guilford Battle Ground Company was also soliciting the federal government to take over the park, which would happen in 1917.

Nathanael Greene Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

Nathanael Greene Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

As mentioned, other monuments are also in the area. The Signers Monument, located near the Greene Monument, marks the grave site of two North Carolina signers of the Declaration of Independence, William Hooper and John Penn. Both were reinterred here in 1894. A third signer, Joseph Hewes, is not buried here. This is not the original location of the reinterred graves and the monument; the National Park Service moved everything to this spot in 1976.

Signers Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

Signers Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

A monument to park founder David Schenck and the Guilford Battle Ground Company’s second president, Joseph Morehead, are located near the parking lot.

David Schenck Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

David Schenck Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

Joseph Morehead Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

Joseph Morehead Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

The Edward Stevens Monument honors the commander of the left wing of the Virginia militia that formed the American Second Line of the battle. Stevens was wounded, but recovered and went on to serve in the Virginia legislature.

Stevens Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

Stevens Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

A monument to George Reynolds, of whom nothing is known about, is located on the lawn surrounding the Greene Monument. The photo below is of the back side of the monument. The front side is inscribed, “In Memoriam Capt. George Reynolds 1754-1813 Officer under General Green in Revolutionary Army.” Notice that Greene is spelled “Green” on the monument, which is incorrect.

Reynolds Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

Reynolds Monument at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park


Previous Stop: The British Soldier | Return to Battlefield Tour Home Page


Back to the Top


Last updated on January 24, 2022
Share this article