Valley Forge National Historical Park | YELLOW SPRINGS TRAIL

Start of the Yellow Springs Trail at Valley Forge National Historical Park

Start of the Yellow Springs Trail at Valley Forge National Historical Park

Length: .3 mile
Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

Download the Valley Forge Trail Map (PDF)

The Yellow Springs Trail is located on the southwest side of Valley Forge National Historical Park. It is a paved path open to both hikers and bikers that connects the Yellow Springs parking lot on Wilson Road (a turn off from Yellow Springs Road) to the Mount Misery and Valley Creek trails. It is not a trail that anyone would set out to hike on its own.

From the parking lot, the Yellow Springs Trail follows Wilson Road back to Yellow Springs Road, at which point it turns northeast and continues alongside the road. The intersection with the Mount Misery Trail is just a quarter mile from the parking lot.

Southern trailhead of the Mount Misery Trail at Valley Forge National Historical Park

Southern trailhead of the Mount Misery Trail at Valley Forge National Historical Park

If your goal is the Valley Creek Trail, continue another 150 yards and you’ll be at its southern trailhead. This is where the Yellow Springs Trail ends. As I said, nobody is hiking it on its own.

Paved Yellow Springs Trail on the southwest side of Valley Forge National Historical Park

Paved Yellow Springs Trail on the southwest side of Valley Forge National Historical Park

There is a covered bridge at the Valley Creek Trail intersection. A covered bridge has spanned Valley Creek at this location since 1851. Since then, bridges have been washed away by floods and damaged by fire. The current bridge was built in 1958. The earliest of the bridges were known as the Valley Forge Dam Bridge, but starting in the early 20th century people started calling it the Knox Bridge. There were two famous Knoxes in this area, but most likely the bridge got its modern name from Senator Philander Knox, the man who bought the property next to the bridge in 1901. Others speculate that the bridge took its name from General Henry Knox, who was stationed in this area during the Valley Forge encampment of 1777-78.

Knox Covered Bridge at Valley Forge National Historical Park

Knox Covered Bridge at Valley Forge National Historical Park

View of Valley Creek from the Knox Covered Bridge at Valley Forge National Historical Park

View of Valley Creek from the Knox Covered Bridge at Valley Forge National Historical Park

Back to the Top


Last updated on August 4, 2022
Share this article