Natchez National Historical Park | FORT ROSALIE

Fort Rosalie Park, part of Natchez National Historical Park

Fort Rosalie Park, part of Natchez National Historical Park

To fulfill the goal of preserving the history of Natchez, Mississippi, the National Park Service acquired the site of Fort Rosalie, the original fort built by the French in 1716 that essentially established the town of Natchez. Nothing of the fort remains. The property, which is located along South Canal Street between Green and D. A. Biglane streets, is now a park that is open from sunrise to sunset. The only amenities are five information panels that tell the history of Fort Rosalie and a half dozen picnic tables situated along Green Street at the bottom of small, rolling hills. The park is of no interest to the typical tourist visiting Natchez National Historical Park.

Picnic tables at Fort Rosalie Park in Natchez, Mississippi

Picnic tables at Fort Rosalie Park in Natchez, Mississippi

Back to the Top


With a few exceptions, use of any photograph on the National Park Planner website requires a paid Royalty Free Editorial Use License or Commercial Use License. See the Photo Usage page for details.
Last updated on January 17, 2022
Share this article